Saturday, May 28, 2011

I Am Their Mother!

I actually wrote this on November 13, 2007 At the time my children were 8, 4, and 2.
Everyone tells me how much my three children look like their father.  I take it as a compliment because my husband is adorable so it's all good but I would be lying if I said I didn't wish for some trait from me.  Eye color is one thing but personality traits are a whole different ballgame.
 
I couldn't find Mabel and that meant trouble.  I walked into the kitchen to find Mabel standing on a chair and having gained access to my chocolate stash she was shoving M&M's in her mouth.  She jumped upon my arrival and yelled very rapidly, "I'm eating your M&M's Mommy and they are really good and I have tinkle in my pants."  At that moment I knew that Mabel did indeed receive some genes from me.  That child decided that eating the M&M's was far better and far more important than getting to the potty and she was willing to withstand wet pants and the cleanup process just for those M&M's!!! The girl has her priorities in order! You gotta love that!

Later that same week I found proof that Meg too has at least one gene from me.  Pete and I were sitting with the 3rd grade teacher for parent conferences when Mrs. Maue pulled out the results from Meg's standardized testing.  I instantly thought that it looked like a DNA strand with the little rectangular blocks staggered down a vertical line showing percentages.  Meg scored in the 85th to 99th percentile for absolutely everything except for one subsection.  There was one little rectangle way off to the left in the 74th percentile while everything else was at the extreme right.  My eye was immediately drawn there and sure enough, Meg received my gene for Math Word Problems.  I have to say that I felt a little pride!  I thought, "Holy Crap, she really is my kid!". The Hahn family tree has an obvious rotten limb spanning generations into the past when it comes to math word problems.  Score another one for Mom!

Now Gus is the toughest nut to crack because he has the ultimate Krussel face and besides some glimpses of some dimples, he really doesn't have a darn thing from me.  And then right before Halloween it happened.  Gus was found smiling at the fireplace mantle where he had helped to arrange some beautiful gourds and pumpkins.  Pete inquired, "Gus what are you smiling at?" and my son, yes, my son, said, "I just love gourds!".  Now many of you are probably thinking that Pete and I can pretty much count on three son-in-laws, and that may be true and that's pretty much inconsequential to me but to have a boy who appreciates Fall home decor and nature....Good Lord he totally got that from me. 

So there it is.  The Krussel genes may be strong in the most obvious forms but I see glimpses of myself in my children and I'm thrilled even if the glimpses appear in wetting their pants for good chocolate, struggling with 3rd grade math, and getting giddy about gourds.  I'll take whatever I can get.  Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment